Kilimanjaro Umbwe Route Down Mweka Route, 7 Days 6 Nights
The Umbwe route (also known as the “Vodka Route”) is often considered the hardest but most spectacular and direct way to reach Uhuru Peak.
Day 1:Arrival Arusha or Moshi for overnight BB.
Day 2:Drive to the Umbwe Roadhead at 1800 m. The route initially follows a forestry track winding up through the natural rain forest. It then narrows and steepens to climb the ridge between the Lonzo and Umbwe rivers. The first campsite is in the forest by some rock overhangs at 2940 m, (5–6 hours walking).
Day 3:Shortly after leaving the camp the forest ends and the path continues along a narrow spectacular ridge. Above, the sheer 1000 m of the Breach Wall appears and disappears as the afternoon mists roll up the Great Barranco. From the Umbwe ridge the route descends slightly to the Barranco Hut and our camp in the valley floor at 3900 m, (5–6 hours walking).
A short scramble to the top of the Great Barranco and then a traverse over scree and ridges to the Karanga Valley (4000 m, 3 hours), beneath the icefalls of the Heim, Kersten and Decken Glaciers.
Day 5:After climbing out of the Karanga Valley the trail ascends a ridge to the Barafu Hut, a bleak location with little vegetation at 4600 m, (3 hours walking).
Day 6:An early start for the ascent to the rim of the Kibo Crater between the Rebmann and Ratzel Glaciers, (4 hours); the last section before the rim can sometimes be snow-covered and an ice-axe or ski stick is useful for balance. From here a further hour leads to Uhuru Peak, from where there are often fine views of Meru to the west and the jagged peak of Mawenzi to the east. After a short time on the summit you descend to the Barafu Hut for a rest and lunch before continuing on down to camp at Mweka Camp in the giant heather zone on the Mweka route.
Day 7:A 3-4 hour descent through beautiful forest brings you to the Mweka route Park gate to meet your car for transfer to the hotel in Moshi or Arusha.
Trip cost per person:-
b) 2pax=$1,760 per person
c) 3 up 5pax=$1,705
d) 6 up to 9pax =$1,650
e) 10 or more = $1,595
SERVICES INCLUDED IN THE PRICES:-
- Guarantee price/quarantee trek on confirmation
- Transfers to and from the mountain gate
- Full board accommodation whilst on the trek.Meal plan as detailed:B=Breakfast,L=Lunch and D=Dinner
- Accommodation in camps as per the itinerary
- All park entrance fees to include government taxes
- Rescue fees
- Service of an English speaking professional guide,porters and cook
- Hotel overnights for 2 nights before and after the trip
- Start and finish in Arusha or Moshi
- Treated drinking water on the trek
SERVICES NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICES:-
- Mountain climbing gears(boots,rain suit,warm trousers,warm coats/jackets,sleeping bag,warm socks,sun and wind glasses,gloves,warm hat,cotton t-shirts)
- International flight
- Other drinks
- Visas to Tanzania
- Tips to the crews
- Items of personal nature