At 4566m(14979 feet),mount Meru is the second highest in Tanzania and the 5th highest in Africa although Kilimanjaro is famous neighbour,overshadows it;and frequently overlooked by trekkers in East Africa.Mount Meru is spectacular,a classic volcanic cone,with its crater wall broken to create a gigantic horseshoe.It is well worth a visit(it is within Arusha National Park).A trek to the summit involves some beautiful hiking through the grassland and hush forests on the mountain lower slopes,followed by a dramatic and exhilarating walk along the knife-edge rom of the crater horseshoe.
Like most of the mountains in this region Meru was formed by volcanic action associated with the creation of the Great Rift Valley.Subsequent explosions broke the circular wall or the crater and more recent volcanic activity has created the ash cone that stands inside the crater.Small eruptions have been reported in the last 100 years indicating that mount Meru is not quite extinct
Day 1: Momella gate (1500m) – Miriakamba huts(2500m) 10km for 3 – 4 hrs.
At 8:30am picked up from your hotel for transfer to mount Meru Momella gate and start a gradual hiking through the grassland,the montane forests to Miriakamba hut 2514m above sea level for overnight.(B,L,D).
Day 2: Miriakamba huts (2500)- Saddle huts(3750) 4km of 2 – 3 hours.
Take up the hill through beautiful glades between trees to reach “Mgongo wa Tembo”.Views of Mount Meru crater from this point are spectacular,Mount Kilimanjaro is seen beautifully at this point on the eastern horizon on clear days.From here the path steeps up through grassy tracks up to Saddle huts at 3570m above sea level for overnight.(B,L,D)
Day 3: Saddle huts (3750m)- Meru Summit(4566m) – Momella gate (1500m)
Early morning start for the summit between 1:00 am and 2:00am.The path leads to the summit through a very narrow ridge between the outer wall of the Meru crater and cliffs of the inner wall.The summit 4566m above sea level is reached just before sunrise ;from the summit retrace the route down to Miriakamba huts for overnight.(B,L,D)
Day 4: Miriakamba hut (2500m) to Momella gate (1500m)
It will be a 2 hrs walk down to Momella gate where you will be met by our car that will bring you back to Arusha town for overnight(BB).
Trip cost perperson:-
- 3 up 5pax=$850
- 6 up to 9pax =815
- 10 or more = $800
SERVICES INCLUDED :-
- Guarantee price/quarantee trek on confirmation
- Transfers to and from the mountain gate
- Full board accommodation whilst on the trek.Meal plan as detailed:B=Breakfast,L=Lunch and D=Dinner
- Accommodation in huts as per the itinerary
- All park entrance fees to include government taxes
- Rescue fees
- Service of an English speaking professional guide,porters and cook
- Hotel overnights for 2 nights before and after the trip
- Start and finish in Arusha or Moshi
- Treated drinking water on the trek
SERVICES NOT INCLUDED :-
- Mountain climbing gears(boots,rain suit,warm trousers,warm coats/jackets,sleeping bag,warm socks,sun and wind glasses,gloves,warm hat,cotton t-shirts)
- International flight
- Other drinks
- Visas to Tanzania
- Tips to the crews
- Items of personal nature